Thursday, August 9, 2007

Consecration

Consecration: To set apart as holy. To devote, to dedicate.

We as Christians are called to dedicate our new lives to Christ. We can only do this by giving ourselves completely to him. God does not and can not accept part time Christians. We can not devote ourselves to Christ if sin still rules our lives and we have not crucified our old self with Christ.

Never has a believer brought to healthy spiritual maturity by means of pressure, and constant exhortation, nor before he was prepared by the spirit. (We can not make someone devote their life to Christ. We can be encouragers but no one can be ready until God has made them ready and he is ready for them.)
Healthy Progress is based on the apprehension, understanding, and appropriation of the truths in Christ that make for real spiritual growth. (The trials we go through are a natural process in making us more mature for Christ. We can not despise ourselves or get down on ourselves for the mistakes we’ve made. These have been allowed by God to show our great need for him and his great love for us.)
The experiential aspects of all truth, and especially these so called deeper truths, is closed to all but the needy heart. (We can not give ourselves completely to God until we realize we can do nothing right on our own. When we fall into deep despair because of heartaches that we’ve caused ourselves or others have caused us then God will be there waiting for us. He will give us his hands to pull us out of the life pits that we’ve created.)

UNTIL ONE IS AWARE OF HIS NEED TO PROGRESS SPIRITUALLY—HE WILL NEVER BE BROUGHT BEYOND THE BIRTH TRUTHS

“God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey him and the power to do what pleases him.” Phil. 2:13 (this power comes from the holy Spirit—nothing we do on our own can or will please him.)

“For me to live is Christ.” Phil 1:21 (As a believer the only true way to live is through Christ—otherwise we will be just trying to live for him through ourselves and we know we can’t do that – and also that God can’t accept that—Our old self MUST BE DEAD.)

“I know that I am rotten through and through so far as my old sinful nature is concerned. No matter which way I turn, I can’t make myself do right. I want to but I can’t.” Romans 7:18 (I know this is absolutely true. I’ve tried many, many times.)

“I myself no longer live, but Christ lives in me. So I live my life in this earthly body by trusting in the son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20.

“If we die with him, we will also live with him.” 2 Tim 2:11b ( The only true happiness and way of living here on earth is to give ourselves completely to God. We will not find happiness any where else no matter how hard we look for it.)
“He personally carried away our sins in his own body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. You have been healed by his wounds.” (1 Peter 2:24) (WE HAVE BEEN HEALED FROM THE PAINS WE HAVE CAUSED OURSELVES FROM LIVING A SINFUL LIFE FROM HIS DEATH ON THE CROSS)

Action: God wants nothing from my old self. I can not please him in anyway when I try on my own. He is calling me to set apart my life and my body as holy. If I hold back certain parts, he can not accept me or use me. God can’t use part time Christians. It is either all or nothing. What will I be today? Every day I’m going to have to make a choice. If I choose to let even a little bit of my old self live, then I can’t master sin through the Holy Spirit. Please help me Lord to give myself to you completely each and everyday. Thank you that you loved me so much that you’ve taken all the pain I’ve caused myself and put it on you instead of me. Thank you for not giving up on me even when I didn’t care about myself. Please put in situations that I can be used for you and you can express yourself through me.

1 comment:

Josh Carpenter said...

I just wanted to tell you that reading this made me smile. I am glad to see you moving closer to Christ. I am glad that we can go through this together. I, like you, have made some horrible choices about how I have treated my body. I can't even make the decision everyday to be a better Christian. I have tried to make that decision too many times and failed. I am learning that I can't aspire to be a better Christian. I learn to love God more when I love "self", not myself, less. When I know that "self" is dead, and has no strength. That all of my strength comes from Christ, which is, whether I want it or not, the source of my LIFE! I just wanted you to know that you are a huge encouragement to my life. I thank God everyday that I have been able to have you in my life. If it all ended tomorrow, I have been made better because of you.