Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Identification

Identification:

“Our old selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin.” Romans 6:6

The believer sees not only that Christ died for him (substitution) but the he died with Christ (identification).

Do I see that in my own life?
No, too many times I’ve fallen away and just known that God would forgive my sins. I wanted to do right, but I’ve been a slave to sin. I never really looked at myself dying on the cross right with Christ. I am realizing now that unless I do this daily, I will always be a slave to sin no matter how hard I try to do good on my own.

Our sins were dealt with by the blood; we ourselves are dealt with by the cross. The blood procures our pardon; the cross procures deliverance from what we are in Adam. The blood can wash away my sins, but it can not wash away my old man: I need the cross to crucify me—the sinner.

“But there is another law at work within me that is at war with my mind. This law wins the fight and makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me.” (Romans 7:23)
------ This verse describes my Christian life so far: There is a war going on in my mind. I know that I’ve been a terrible person and done bad things to others and myself and until I can fully let this go then I’m going to be stuck here forever. Even though I’ve felt out of place my whole life I still struggle with trying to please others and myself instead of identifying and pleasing Christ. My action will be to take up my cross daily. I need to have a visual reminder that I have died to myself and Christ now lives in me. Maybe I’ll start wearing my cross again. This may help if I know now why I’m wearing it. I need to remember that my purpose here on earth is to let Christ express himself through me. I can't do this if I don't die to myself on a daily basis.

1 comment:

Josh Carpenter said...

I am glad that you made the time to blog again. It is nice to see what you are thinking as far as your relationship with Christ. I know that I struggle with this as well. We both worry too much about what others think and too little about what Christ thinks of us. I am glad that you are realizing that until you let things that you have done go, you will be stuck on them forever. I have been/am/always will be trying to accomplish letting "self" go and letting "Christ" take hold. I am praying for you.