Monday, August 13, 2007

The Cross

The Cross

Understanding and appropriating the facts of the cross proves to be one of the most difficult and trying of all phases for the growing believer. Our Lord holds his most vital and best things in store for those who mean business, for those who hunger and thirst for His very best as it is in our Lord Jesus Christ. The believers understanding of the two aspects of calvary give the key to both spiritual growth and life giving service.

“God blesses those who are hungry and thirsty for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.” (Matt 5:6)

“And you are complete in your union with Christ.” (Col 2:11a)

****What we are to experience he purchased for us, and what he purchased for us we ought to experience****

Most Christians today get stuck in the first aspect of Calvary which is Christ dying for our sins. I have to admit that I’ve been stuck there for a long time too. We get stuck repeatedly sinning and asking for forgiveness. Most never even move on to identifying with Christ death and putting ourselves on the cross. This seems so sad to me because we will never find freedom if we do not move onto this step. In all the years that I’ve been a Christian, I’ve never counted myself dead to sin. In the past couple of years, I’ve tried on my own to be better for God, but have failed miserably. Through this study I’m learning where my faults have come from and am praying that with the Holy Spirit’s help I will finally move onto spiritual freedom. I know that I have to be an active participant and count my old self dead to sin daily in order for this to take place.

2nd aspect of Calvary: The beginning of the life of holiness is a faith in the crucified Savior which sees more than his substitutionary work. It is a faith which sees myself identified with Christ in His death and resurrection.

“Our old sinful selves were crucified with Christ so that sin might lose its power in our lives.” (Romans 6:6)

“For you died when Christ died, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God.” (Col 3:3)

“And he was saying to them all, if anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.” (Luke 9:23)

No comments: